image
Tourism
image
 
image

Yancey Tavern (Spahr home)

From the historical marker:

“In 1779, James Hollis, Sr. built this house on Island Road, Tennessee’s first wagon road built in 1761. Sullivan County Court met here 1780-1792. John Yancey purchased it in 1782 and opened it as Yancey’s Tavern . By the 1840s it was known as Shaver’s Inn, stage stop half-way between the Deery and Netherland Inns. John Shaver maintained Eden’s Ridge Post Office here 1842-1866. John Spahr purchased it with 230 acres in 1889 and it became the residence for his farm.”

Location and contact information
Location: Hwy. 11E, just east of Kingsport

Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism: 423.323.4660

Return to Previous Page





image