REGIONAL CALENDAR OF EVENTS
See full calendar of Regional Events listing at www.facebook.com/historicsullivan.
February 7-16, 2020
THEATRE BRISTOL PRESENTS "SHE LOVES ME"
February 7-16, 2020, 7:30pm-10pm
Theater Bristol, 506-512 State Street, Bristol, TN 37620
Inspired by the same story that brought "You've Got Mail" to the screen, She Loves Me's love letters and sardonic wit are exchanged to beautiful music in a 1930s parfumerie.
For further information, please call (423) 212-3625 or visit www.theaterbristol.org
KINGSPORT THEATER GUILD PRESENTS "SOUTHERN FRIED FUNERAL"
February 7-16, 2020, 2pm and 7pm (Call for showtimes)
Kingsport Theater Guild (Kingsport Renaissance Center), 1200 E. Center St., Kingsport, TN
Dewey Frye is dead and the rest of his family is left to pick up the pieces — that is if they don’t kill each other first. Not only does matriarch Dorothy have to contend with sudden widowhood, but she’s also faced with church-committee harpy Ozella Meeks sticking her nose in the family business, Dewey’s snake-in-the-grass brother making a grab for her house, and two grown daughters reliving their childhood rivalry. Funerals bring out the worst, the best, and the funniest in people, and the Fryes are no exception. A big-hearted comedy about family — Southern-style.
For further information, please call (423) 392-8427 or visit
February 9, 2020
PARAMOUNT PRESENTS "BILL ENGVALL"
February 9, 2020, 1st show at 5pm and 2nd show at 8pm
Paramount Center, 518 State Street, Bristol, TN 37620
Bill Engvall is a Grammy nominated, multi-platinum selling recording artist and one of America’s most hilarious comedians. Engvall’s iconic brand of observational satire is as relatable as it is laugh out loud funny. Bill's first album, “Here's Your Sign,” held the #1 position on the Billboard Comedy Chart for 15 straight weeks.
For further information, please call (423) 274-8920 or visit www.paramountbristol.org
February 14, 2020
STEELE CREEK PARK PRESENTS "VALENTINE'S DAY HIKE"
February 14, 2020, 3:30pm
Creek Park, 80 Lakeshore Dr., Bristol, TN 37620 (meet at Nature Center)
Bring your loved ones for a fun hike with some hot chocolate afterwards.
For further information, please call (423) 989-5616 or visit
February 15, 2020
BIRTHPLACE OF COUNTRY MUSIC - MONTHLY COMMUNITY JAM
February 15, 2010, 2pm-5pm
Birthplace of Country Music Museum, 101 Country Music Way, Bristol, VA 24201
A monthly jam session featuring local musicians for a full-on community jam session!
For further information, please call (423) 573-1927 or visit
HIKING ADVENTURE TO NORTH FORK STONY CREEK WATERFALL
February 15, 2020, 8am-5pm
Warriors Path State Park, 490 Hemlock Road Kingsport, TN 37663
Ready for a real HIKING ADVENTURE? Join us as we head out to a lovely waterfall in a remote corner of Holston Mountain, in nearby Carter County, Tennessee. Along the way, we'll experience ridgetop geology, winter woodland discovery, and, weather permitting, fine views across Shady Valley. We'll cover over 10 miles of rugged terrain. Please note that this is a very difficult hike.
For further information, please call (423) 239-8531 or email
WARRIORS PATH STATE PARK PRESENTS "WAR PARTY 10K"
February 15, 2020, 11 a.m.
Warriors Path State Park, 490 Hemlock Road Kingsport, TN 37663
Hosted by the State of Franklin Track Club, this event is part of the Tennessee State Park's Running Tour. $10 entry is does not include free T-shirt. T-shirts are $12 each ($2 extra for 2X) which can be ordered as part of the registration process. Entries must be received by Friday 02/06/20 to be assured of a race shirt. Entries received after this date will receive T-shirts as supplies last. There will be no T-shirt re-ordering!
For further information, please call (423) 306-1483 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 29, 2020
PARAMOUNT CENTER PRESENTS THE HILLBENDERS - WHOGRASS!
February 29, 2020, 8pm
Paramount Center for the Arts, 518 State Street, Bristol, TN 37620
With a perfect mix of acoustic musicianship and Rock n’ Roll showmanship, the Hillbenders take us on a journey through The Who’s legendary catalog.
For further information, please call (423) 274-8920 or visit www.paramountbristol.org.
March 1, 2020
"WHAT'S COOKIN' ALONG THE GREAT STAGE ROAD?"
Annual Dinner for Netherland Inn/Exchange Place, Food City Press Room on Roller Street in Kingsport Tickets are $20 per person.
About the Event - The 19th Century gave us the telephone and telegraph, the internal combustion engine, four new Constitutional amendments, and the birth of professional baseball. It also gave us some interesting food, some of which we are still enjoying today, and when the Netherland Inn-Exchange Place Association hosts its annual dinner on Sunday, March 1, 2020, food from that era will be explored, and sampled, in a lively evening guaranteed to whet one’s appetite. The three sites that make up the Association – the Netherland Inn, Exchange Place, and Hammond House – will be taking us on a guided gastronomic tour of the 19th Century. Janet Gillenwater from the Inn will examine the very early years, when salt was being ferried down the Holston River from Saltville, Virginia. Heather Gilreath (assisted by Emily Myers and Megan Grisenti) from Exchange Place will look at the middle years, when far too many homes had meals cooked and served by slaves. And Mary Fanslow from Hammond House will close the century with the Victorian era, when a meal could be enjoyed by the light of the new electric light bulb. Each site will pass out yummy, bite-sized samples of treats that were fashionable in its time period, and recipes popular in all three eras will be found as part of the colorful table settings. And there will also be music! The Junior Apprentices Old-Time Band, made up exclusively of members of Exchange Place’s unique students who are learning about history and restoration at Kingsport’s living history farm, will demonstrate their talent by playing “between courses,” as it were. The dinner will be held at the Press Room on Roller Street in Kingsport, behind the Food City on Clinchfield Street, beginning at 5:30 pm. A 21st Century buffet meal will be provided by Food City. While a small portion of the meeting will be devoted to Association business, including the election of officers for the new year, one does not have to be a member of the Netherland Inn/Exchange Place Association to attend, and so this gathering is quite open to the general public. Please note that reservations are required, and must be received no later than Wednesday, February 26. You may contact either Sara Selby (423-349-8372 or email@example.com), or Marshall Adesman (423-357-5352 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or send in a check for $20 per person to: NI/EP Association, P.O. Box 293, Kingsport, TN 37662
March 7, 2020 - Confederate Flag Day
March 7, 2020, 11am
Sullivan County Heritage Tourism Information Center, 1575 Hwy. 394, Blountville, TN 37617.
Sponsored by Vaughn's Brigade Sons of Confederate Veterans of East Tennessee.
- Antique Car Show, Friday nights, 6 PM to 8 PM, May thru October, TriSummit Bank parking lot across from the train station in downtown Bristol. Info at 423.646.7780.
- Blountville Farmers Market, 12 Noon, each Thurs., April through October, located behind the old Sullivan County Courthouse at Blountville. Info at 423.323.4660.
- Cooper's Gem Mine, 11 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday, and 12 Noon to 5 PM on Saturdays, from the 1st of April through October 31. For group tours and information, please call (423) 323-5680. Beginning in October 2015, an online store will be available at coopersgemmine.com and will include natural artifacts.
- Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Society meets bimonthly at 7PM, 3rd Thursday evening of each month,Sullivan County Department of Archives & Tourism, downtown Blountville. Free admission. General public is cordially invited. (423) 323-4660.
- Sons of the Confederate Veterans, John Singleton Mosby Camp #1409, meets at 6PM, 4th Monday of each month, Mama's House Buffet, John B. Dennis Parkway, Kingsport, TN.
- Sons of Confederate Veterans, Lt. Stephen Powell Camp, meets at 7PM, 3rd Monday of each month, 2nd Floor Commission Room, Sullivan County Courthouse, Blountville.
- Netherland Inn, Open Saturday and Sunday - May through October.
Hours: 2p.m. to 4p.m. Admission: Adults $4.00 and age 6 and under $1.00.
Group Tours: April through October by appointment- School, Civic and Church Groups Welcome!
- Old Deery Inn and Museum. Step back in time as you visit this lovely hidden gem in downtown Historic Blountville! Tours include rooms of beautiful antiques inside the 2-story inn, and visitors will also enjoy seeing the dependency buildings including the old brick kitchen, slave quarters, blacksmith shop and more! A must-see for early Tennessee history! Tickets are $5 per person; children under 12 are $3. (423) 323-4660.
- Bristol Farmers Market, May 1 thru October 31, Saturdays 7 AM to Noon, and Wednesdays 3 PM to 7 PM.
- Sullivan County Preservation Association, 3rd Thursday of each month, 7pm, Community Center at Blountville.
- Kingsport Farmers Market, 7 AM to 1 PM, Wednesdays and Saturdays, corner of Clinchfield and Center Streets. Info at 423.246.6550.
- TAMHA Traditional Appalachian Music Heritage Association holds jam sessions at 6PM every Friday at the Anderson Townhouse in historic downtown Blountville. Jams are also held from 2-4 PM at the Bristol Tennessee Welcome Center on the 2nd Saturday of the month. Free and open to the general public.
- Appalachian Ghostwalks, ongoing daily/nightly tours. Reservations required. Interested parties should call (423) 743-WALK (9255) for reservations.
GET YOUR EVENT LISTED HERE! To have your event listed with us, email us or call (423) 323-4660.