2017 REGIONAL CALENDAR OF EVENTS
June 8 through July 11, 2017 - Droke Family History Exhibit thru July 11
Be sure to visit the William King Museum at Abingdon to see the latest exhibit, "Home: One Family, 200 Years of History".
On loan from Don and Sharon Droke, the display is a collection of artifacts and items from the Droke family household from the mid-19th century to present-day. The Drokes have lived on the same homestead in Piney Flats since the family patriarch built the home as part of his carpentry apprenticeship in the 1850s. They were, historical speaking, tobacco farmers and fought in the Civil War for the Confederacy. Artifacts on display include the Droke family Bible, cabinetry, tobacco farming equipment, letters and ledger books, the original deed to the house, photographs, war medals. The exhibit in essence serves as a cultural and economic history of the region, through the lens of one family's experience. The exhibit will be on display through July 11. A talk will be given at the William King Museum at 2 PM on Sunday, July 9, 2017. Thank you Don and Sharon Droke!
July 28-30, 2017 - Civil War Reenactment, Battle of Abingdon
Abingdon Muster Grounds, Abingdon, VA.
August 12, 2017 - Civil War Commemoration, Knoxville, TN
August 16, 2017 - NASCAR Camping World Truck Series - Bristol 200
Wednesday, 8:30 PM, Bristol Motor Speedway. Click here for information and ticketing.
August 18, 2017 - NASCAR Xfinity Series - Food City 300
Friday, 7:30 PM, Bristol Motor Speedway. Click here for information and ticketing.
August 19, 2017 - NASCAR Sprint Cup Series - Bass Pro Shops NRA Race
Saturday, 7:30 PM, Bristol Motor Speedway. Click here for information and ticketing.
August 26-27, 2017 - Civil War Reenactment, Battle of Richmond, KY
September 8, 2017 - Civil War Reenactment, Battle of Vonore
September 8, 2017 - Civil War Reenactment, Battle of Tunnel Hill, GA
Sept. 9, 2017 - 9th ANNUAL HISTORIC BLOUNTVILLE FLEA MARKET
9 AM to 4 PM, downtown Historic Blountville. Watch for further details!
Sept. 9, 2017 - U.S. Title Series Boat Race at Boone Dam
Details to be announced.
September 15, 2017 - Civil War Reenactment, Battle of Camp Wildcat, KY
Sept. 15-17, 2017 - Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion
Click here for tickets.
Sept. 23-24, 2017 - Fall Folk Arts Festival at Exchange Place
The Fall Folk Arts Festival is the last full weekend of September. Fall activities typical of a 19th century farmstead, demonstrations and sales of high-quality hand-made handicrafts and a Harvest Market are featured. Traditional music, old-fashioned foods, children’s activities, and animals are important parts of the event. Begun in 1972. 2017 date: September 23 and 24. Information at 423.288.6071.
Sept. 29 - Oct. 1, 2017 - 2017 Battle of Blountville Civil War Reenactment
1173 Old Hawley Farm, Blountville, TN 37617. Event brought to you by the Department of East Tennessee Reenactors, and co-sponsored by the Battle of Blountville Civil War Military Park and the Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism.
Oct. 27-28, 2017 - Witches Wynd at Exchange Place
Listeners “Wynd” among five professional tellers of legends and love in the nooks and crannies of ancient log buildings. The evening concludes with hot cider and cookies. Advanced tickets, first available at the Fall Folk Arts Festival are required for this event which has sold out every year. Begun in 1992. 2017 date: October 27 and 28. Information at 423.288.6071.
Nov. 3-5, 2017 - "A Walk In Their Boots 2017"
Nov. 3 at 9 AM to Nov 5 at 4:30 PM, Tipton-Haynes State Historic Site, 2620 S. Roan St., Johnson City, TN 37601. This exciting event includes reenactments from all wars from Revolutionary War through today. The Department of East Tennessee Reenactors will host the Civil War portion of the event.
Nov. 17, 2017 - Kingsport Centennial Park Celebration
4 PM - 8 PM, Centennial Park, downtown Kingsport, TN. Our culminating event will be Friday, November 17. It is the Centennial Park Celebration. The park is our gift we leave to the city and our children. We will be unveiling the Santa Train sculpture and burying a time capsule to commemorate the centennial year. Info at 423.229.9400.
Dec. 2, 2017 - Christmas at Tipton-Haynes
Tipton-Haynes Historic Site, Johnson City, TN.
Dec. 2, 2017 - Christmas in the Country at Exchange Place
Christmas in the Country is the first Saturday of December. The sales of fresh greenery, roping and wreaths, traditional foods, and demonstrations of winter activities on a 19th century farmstead are featured. Artisans may offer workshops for visitors to create their own folk art. The Yule Log Ceremony concludes the celebration. 2017 date: December 2. Information at 423.288.6071.
Dec.7, 2017 - Historic Blountville Christmas Tree Lighting
6 PM, Historic Sullivan County Courthouse, Blountville, TN.
Dec. 8, 2017 - Civil War Reenactment, Battle of Kingsport
Dec. 9, 2017 - 2017 Historic Blountville Christmas Parade
2 PM, downtown Blountville, TN. Lineup will begin at Keystone Drive, and parade route will continue down Hwy. 126, ending at the Sullivan County Courthouse. There is no registration. Parade participants will lineup at Keystone Drive beginning at 1 PM. Phone 423.323.4660.
- Blountville Farmers Market, 12 Noon, each Thurs., April through October, located behind the old Sullivan County Courthouse at Blountville. Info at 423.323.4660.
- Cooper's Gem Mine, 11 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday, and 12 Noon to 5 PM on Saturdays, from the 1st of April through October 31. For group tours and information, please call (423) 323-5680. Beginning in October 2015, an online store will be available at coopersgemmine.com and will include natural artifacts.
- Kingsport Farmers Market, 7 AM to 1 PM, Wednesdays and Saturdays, corner of Clinchfield and Center Streets. Info at 423.246.6550.
- Bristol Farmers Market, May 1 thru October 31, Saturdays 7 AM to Noon, and Wednesdays 3 PM to 7 PM.
- Antique Car Show, Friday nights, 6 PM to 8 PM, May thru October, 2012, TriSummit Bank parking lot across from the train station in downtown Bristol. Info at 423.646.7780.
- Appalachian Ghostwalks, ongoing daily/nightly tours. Reservations required. Interested parties should call (423) 743-WALK (9255) for reservations.
- Netherland Inn, Open Saturday and Sunday - May through October.
Hours: 2p.m. to 4p.m. Admission: Adults $4.00 and age 6 and under $1.00.
Group Tours: April through October by appointment- School, Civic and Church Groups Welcome!
- Old Deery Inn and Museum. Step back in time as you visit this lovely hidden gem in downtown Historic Blountville! Tours include rooms of beautiful antiques inside the 2-story inn, and visitors will also enjoy seeing the dependency buildings including the old brick kitchen, slave quarters, blacksmith shop and more! A must-see for early Tennessee history! Tickets are $5 per person; children under 12 are $3. (423) 323-4660.
- Sons of the Confederate Veterans, John Singleton Mosby Camp #1409, meets at 6PM, 4th Monday of each month, Mama's House Buffet, John B. Dennis Parkway, Kingsport, TN.
- Sons of the Confederate Veterans, Lt. Stephen Powell Camp, meets at 7PM, 3rd Monday of each month, 2nd Floor Commission Room, Sullivan County Courthouse, Blountville.
- Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Society meets at 7PM, 3rd Thursday evening of each month, 2nd Floor Commission Room, Sullivan County Courthouse, downtown Blountville. Free admission. General public is cordially invited. (423) 323-4660.
- TAMHA Traditional Appalachian Music Heritage Association holds jam sessions at 6PM every Friday at the Anderson Townhouse in historic downtown Blountville. Jams are also held from 2-4 PM at the Bristol Tennessee Welcome Center on the 2nd Saturday of the month. Free and open to the general public.
- Mountain Mysteries Bus Tours -
An exciting year-round adventure. Explore the mysteries of your mountain heritage... Get ready for a fun group or family adventure that you'll treasure for a lifetime! The Appalachian GhostWalks Tour Bus is now available for regional tour and charter services for groups of five, or more, up to a maximum of fourteen of your friends and family. Beautifully restored, our bus features a fantastic audio/visual system, perfect for holiday and birthday parties as well as other special occasions. Enjoy transportation to and from any or all of our single evening tours, as well as our full-day vacation packages. Call 423.743.WALK (9255) to inquire about booking the bus for a day, or a night out with a group of your friends, family, or co-workers. Visit the website at AppalachianGhostWalks.com for full details. All tours are perfect for children as a positively spooky and fun family adventure!
GET YOUR EVENT LISTED HERE! To have your event listed with us, email us or call (423) 323-4660.